Fire & Ice Wolf Packs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolf Roleplaying Website

HomeHeaderGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

That little Tyke

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
akkanatrum
Junior Admin

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-12

That little Tyke - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 7:10 pm

She looked up from the corner of her eye, waiting until she saw the hare shoot up before stopping her noise, watching her pup, well, he was as good as hers now, she figured, although she probably wouldn't ever verbally be possessive of him. Dark hearted as she was, she was still very capable of love. Soon enough, though, the hare was limp in Tyke's jaws. She saw his paw move to cover its form as he placed it on the ground, and to her, it almost seemed like in pride. She walked towards him and congratulated him, "Great job, Tyke! I knew you can do it. Make sure you remember the scent of the hare and eat your fill. You're the one who caught it." After he finished eating, they should head for water to rehydrate and for Tyke to clean his paws.

She had no specific schedule before finding him, so it was easy to build a schedule around his needs, wants, and training. She lay herself down on the ground, deciding they'd stay here while Tyke ate. There wasn't an animal around that would disturb them, and if one did show up, she'd just have to teach it a thing or two. Her eyes were focused on Tyke, her ears twitching, hearing scanning in place of her sight so she could devote her attention.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-01-31

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:01 am

Tyke smiled up at Ixtab, then lied on the ground and sniffed deeply at the hare, trying to remember its scent. It was stronger than before, and he reckoned he could recall it the next time he hunted. At long last, he ate. First ripping of the fur, it stuck around his lips, then he ripped open its flesh and began to feast. Ixtab was right, it was messier than a mouse, but tasted so much better. Perhaps because it was a different meat, or perhaps because it was his first true kill. Tyke relished in his personal meal, taking the food in fast and grinning as he ate.

"What will you eat?" he asked Ixtab. He had reached the bones of the animal, and began licking at the marrow. Thirst stung his tongue and he turned his head around, but he couldn't see any source of water, and the bush where his mother had left him didn't seem to be near any pools nor an oasis. His legs felt heavy after the hunt, and his mind was filled with new knowledge. This was his victory kill, and he couldn't wait to wash it down with cool water.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

Pawprints : 1889

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 am

It was easy to tell he was enjoying the meat, judging by his expression. She answered his question, "I had already eaten some time before finding you. As you grow older, you won't put as much energy into growing, which means more energy to use for activities like walking or running." Getting to her feet, she said, "Some water would be nice, though, after such an exciting hunt. There is a water source near here, since some plants are growing." She voiced out the thoughts that came naturally to her for Tyke's sake. "There aren't too many clumped here, which means we're near the edge of a good source. There are a few taller trees over in that direction that I recognize being near small ponds of water." She nodded in what may be some hundreds of feet. "When out in places like this, it's not uncommon to find food and water in different places. Prey only venture to water sources when they absolutely need it, because they know wolves and other animals are also attracted by water."

Soon enough, everything she teaches him will be reinforced through experience. For now, he'd have to take her word for it, but as he may have already learned, she won't deliberately lead him astray. Other things are meant to be learned through experience and never expressed through instruction.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

Pawprints : 293

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 1:15 am

Food was found in different locations than water. Tyke put this mental note into his mind. "So we have a long walk because we find water then?" Tyke abandoned the collection of fur and bone and moved closer to Ixtab. She really was helping him, and also he had met her earlier that same day, he felt more protected by her than anyone other than his own mother. "Thank you" He owed her a lot already.

"Flowers." He pointed to a collection of plants she had recognized before. "Flowers need water to grow, so there should be water near here, right?" He had listened to her deductions about the water, and also her strategy when it came to hunting. He would need to start thinking logically if he was to find food and water, but he had no idea how to find some place to sleep. Dens didn't travel like food and water did.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 9:58 am

As she started to walk, she said, "Those trees aren't too far away- it'll take a couple minutes to walk there- not very long.

She replied to his second question, "Yes. Most flowers that sprout from the ground need quite a bit of water, whether that's from rain or a nearby pond. If you see only a few, small plants, then there's probably no water very close to you. Many trees, like flowers, need a frequent water source. Some trees and plants, though, require them to be right next to a water supply to grow. As you encounter such water supplies, you'll start to notice some plants you'll never see when you're not near water. It's nice to find a river, because you'd be more likely to encounter a forest, which has lots of prey hiding. Sometimes you'll find prey at a small pond or watering hole, but I wouldn't bet my life on it." They were nearing the small oasis, and it was now visible. Ixtab looked around briefly. This was quite small for an oasis, so if they decided to rest here, there wouldn't be any harm to. The only other danger should be wolves, but there were few just wandering in these lands, and would probably frequent larger bodies of water. She was also a light sleeper, anyways.

Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:34 pm

As they walked, a small oasis was visible between the trees. Tyke was tempted to run towards it, but he stopped himself. He still didn't want to stray too far, but in case danger lay ahead that Ixtab had not yet mentioned, he wouldn't run until he knew it was safe. his nose was dry again, he was thirsty. Now the snow had melted, he couldn't take any from the side of his path. There were no others wolves around that Tyke could see, so when he next needed a meal, he might not have that much competition.

They were closer to the water now, so Tyke trotted towards it, jogging right into the cool mass. Dirt and blood flowed off his paws, dying the water, and he walked around, splashing slightly. He bent down and took his first drink in a long time. It was bliss, feeling the cool ripples hit his mouth and nose. He lapped it up greedily before stepping out of the water and shaking the wetness from the fur on his belly. He stretched and yawned widely showing tiny teeth, then turned to see where Ixtab was.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Ixtab had continued at her pace, so she reached the water as Tyke was getting out. Then she got to work on cleaning her fur free of the dry blood, content to let Tyke do as he pleased. "We can rest here for a while. It's not the most ideal, but we can sleep within the roots of that tree." She nodded towards the base of one of the trees. Some of the roots were pulling out of the ground, creating an indent within the ground, protected by a tangle of roots. It was shaded and study. It was facing in such a way that small prey wouldn't smell them if the winds were blowing favorably. There was plenty of water, and Tyke could track his next meal from the oasis or the surrounding area.

Shaking her damp pelt dry, she said, "There are a few options we have after we rest up. I was thinking we can stay here and teach you the basics of tracking and possibly hunting other small creatures, then we can travel so you can expand your knowledge. Then, when you're more grown, we can decide whether we want to live with a pack or continue living how we are."
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Tyke looked at the tree, then walked slowly towards it, examining the roots and sniffing around the base of the trunk. It was a good place to sleep. He picked up a nearby twig and brought it over to where Ixtab was by the water. He laid down and began to chew the stick. "What's it like being in a pack? And how is it different from living like this?" He couldn't remember being in a pack. He could only remember living with his family. His mother and father. He didn't remember any siblings. He was excited to learn more about hunting and tracking, enough to train him for when he was older. "How long will you stay with me?" He dropped the twig to look up at Ixtab.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Ixtab watched him examine their temporary base and thought about his questions as he came back to her. "Being with a pack is like being in a huge family. Sometimes you'll have fun, other times, they'll get on your nerves. It also depends on what type of pack you're interested in. Some packs form through friendship, using each others strengths and covering others' weaknesses to survive; others through the common goal of gaining power and won't think anything about harming their pack mates if it means more power. Of course, there packs that have a mix of these. I guess you can say living like this is a little similar to the pack bonded by power. You're surviving with a small group of... closer friends. In your case, that's me. We stay together to increase our chances of survival. In such a dark pack, though, there are more and less dangers. Less, because you have a constant food and water supply. More danger, because sometimes a wolf might turn against his pack.

"As for me staying with you, I won't leave you unless you decide you want me to. I have nothing that would cause me to leave, seeing my original plan was just to keep moving until I find something to keep me grounded." She looked towards the water, leaving Tyke to reflect on that for a bit.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 11:55 am

There was a lot for Tyke to think about, but he was relieved when Ixtab said she wouldn't voluntarily leave him. "Why did you not choose to live in a pack?" He asked her. He tossed the twig aside and walked back to the water's edge, dipping his paws into the moisture and watching his fur change. Wherever he decided to live when he was older, he'd need to be a powerful wolf to survive, even if he joined a pack. Ixtab said darker wolves might turn against him, and he had to know how to defend himself if such a day came.

But if he was to live alone, he would need to lead to protect himself anyway. Hunting, tracking, and defense were all very important when living outside of a family. Tyke was curious about Ixtab's past and why she found him so far from any other wolves. His mother had made sure he was apart from others, but he still didn't know why.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 7:28 pm

She had to think about his question for a few seconds before opening her maw to say, "Well, I used to, but natures takes as it pleases. We lived close to a volcano- that's like a mountain that shoots out fire. The thing was, everyone thought it was safe because it was silent for a long time. This didn't happen too long ago, but... I like this freedom. And sometimes it's difficult to come across the pack that best suits your wants and needs. I haven't found such a pack yet."

She knew she would have to be honest with him sooner or later, and it was better to tell him now. Facing the water as she spoke, she explained, "Before you judge me, let me finish explain. There are three main alignments of packs. Of course, there's not just three, just like there is grays between black and white. They are pure, neutral, and dark packs. I'm sure it's self-explanatory how each would behave. I, myself, would rather align with the dark packs. But, unlike what some pure wolves like to believe, there are different degrees of darkness, so don't ever be ashamed if you find yourself aligning with us. There are the type who are mad, crazy, and kill nearly everything they come across. Then, on the other extreme, there are the dark wolves who love to spill blood, but not all the time. They can be as gentle or soft as any pure wolf, but only under some circumstances. I'm more like this group. I crave the fight and sight of blood, but my protective feelings for mothers, pups, and those who I go so far as to call friend come before all the violence."

Ixtab felt like she should reinforce something in case Tyke freaked out, "I consider you like my adopted son, and when you grow up, friend. You never need to fear me, for I'll never attack you. Only those who try to hurt you."
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Tyke stood still for a moment, thinking. She was a dark wolf, and possibly dangerous. She claimed to be bloodthirsty. Was it a good idea for him to continue living under her care? But when he was ambushing that hare, the feeling he had was strong and intense. The urge to kill and taste its blood. Perhaps he was more like Ixtab than he thought. She could teach him more, and protect him further, and she had said she would never harm him. They could hunt together, and not just prey, but enemy wolves. And he'd still be be safe.

Tyke stepped closer to Ixtab and lowered his head, leaning against her leg for comfort, one paw wrapped around hers like a hug. "I trust you". He said, smiling to himself, his eyes closing. He was tired.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Tyke, instead of stepping away, stepped forward. In all honestly, Ixtab wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been scared at this sudden admission. Instead, his current position was vulnerable, one paw around her lower leg. "Thank you," she replied, bending down to gently nuzzle him. "I will fight to prevent anything from interfering with that trust. Perhaps we should rest for a while now." Lifting her head, she waited for him to head into the tangle of roots first so that on the mild possibility of attack, he'd be safe on the small chance Ixtab couldn't react in time. Lots of things happened today, possibly more so for Tyke. He'd see many more big days like this. He lessons might become difficult later on, but for the pup, it'll all be worth it.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

Tyke nodded and yawned again, letting got of Ixtab's leg and stretching. He made his way to the roots of the tree they were to take their rest in, sniffing around the base of the trunk and scratching at the wood. The wind wasn't hitting this spot so it was warm and comforting; a good place to sleep. He padded around in the earth before settling himself on the ground and curling up. He rested his head on his paws and waited for Ixtab to follow, looking around at the horizon for any others who could interrupt their slumbers, but there was neither friend nor foe. He was excited and curious about what he was going to learn tomorrow as he followed Ixtab's lead. He hoped he could grow into a strong wolf, not only for power and pleasure, but also to make her proud.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Ixtab watched Tyke settle down, seemingly satisfied, before she entered. "Soon enough the lessons will start to become more challenging as you grow in knowledge and ability. Remember rest is important while learning and take your time to learn and review the basics, for everything piles on previous knowledge," she said, to help remind him not to be so excited that he couldn't sleep. When everything settled, she'd wait for Tyke to fall asleep before she would, and would probably wake when he sowed the first signs of stirring the next day.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 12:39 am

Tyke closed his eyes, staying close to Ixtab. Although his body was asleep, his mind wasn't.

I'm lying in the bush my mother left me in. It's cold and I'm scared; I don't know what's happening. My mummy is walking away and I want her to come back. I need to be strong and not call out to her, but I don't know if she's coming back. I see blood on the ground and for the first time, I realize it's from her. What happened? Who did this? My mummy has gone now and I don't see her. It' still cold and the wind is making it worse. I don't know where Daddy is and I don't want to be alone any more. If someone else comes, they might hurt me. I might be another wolf's food. I can hear large birds of prey calling from above me, their black silhouette's circling the trees. I hope they don't find out where I am. I see a dark shadow growing larger and larger, it's coming closer to me. Everything is going black and I'm so cold. mummy, I don't want you to go!

Tyke twitched in his sleep, shivering, wincing, and scrunching his eyes before settling down again. He kept on sleeping, despite this nightmare. He was warm beside Ixtab and protected from the wind by the tree. He was only cold in his dream. It wouldn't be long before he awoke, ready for a new day of learning and adventures.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 11:17 am

She still slept, but unconsciously tried to comfort him in his sleep, still having parental instincts. When she woke up, Ixtab might be aware he had a nightmare, but not her movements to attempt to sooth him.

Orange orbs snapped open before the rays of the sun were visible. It was what she was used to, getting up before the sun. Before having to leave her pack, she had slept, and woken up to darkness, rarely seeing the sun. Now she was able to tell the time with it, but was accustomed to waking without it, so she was used to waking early. She got up carefully, silently. He might be waking soon enough anyways, but some day in the future, she'd see what would wake him while he slept, to test if he slept heavy or light. But not now. Instead, she turned her body so her head stuck out of the roots. She could watch the sun rise, and Tyke would still know she was there.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 3:44 am

"Ixtab?" Tyke blinked and opened his eyes. he looked up to see Ixtab still close to him and his racing heart immediately calmed. He was safe, as long as he knew where she was. He had been dreaming a dream that chilled his bones. A nightmare. Ixtab wasn't in the dream to protect him, but now he was awake, he felt a lot safer.

He stretched and yawned, opening his maw and bearing his teeth. A new day to learn new lessons and experience new things. He was excited to try out new techniques for whatever Ixtab was to teach him that day. But first, a drink. Although the oasis was so close to them, he didn't want to move until Ixtab saw him to be awake; then he could drink his fill for the morning.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Hearing a voice say her name, Ixtab tilted his head enough to see Tyke awake from the corner of her eye. "Morning," she said and picked herself up, exiting the confines of roots, heading to the oasis to take a drink. She closed her eyes as she walked, using her senses to guide her. The ground was dry, getting more damp and cool as she approached, as the smell of water also got stronger. By other scents, some prey had come to the water to take a drink, clearly without having noticed the wolves.

Opening her eyes, she looked around, grinning. Perhaps they didn't have to wander too far for a tracking experience. Eventually, she'd teach Tyke to track a wolf, but only when he was a bit older and more comfortable when she was out of sight. After she drank, she straightened to wait for Tyke, her eyes closing once more while waiting, and she stood still, focusing, but open to the pup for conversation.

Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:37 am

He smiled when Ixtab spoke and followed her to the oasis, sniffing the cold ground as he went. Dirt stuck to his nares and he sneezed before approaching the water's edge and lowering his muzzle to drink. The cold, morning water was heavenly refreshing and he lapped it up. He was excited to begin the day. He dipped his paws into the cool liquid, letting it ripple at his touch. "What are we going to do today?" He asked Ixtab as he looked up at her, but she stood there with her eyes closed as though expecting something. He kept looking at her, then he looked around to see if there had been a disturbance or if there was another presence distracting her. He sniffed the air, but no knew scents came to him. "What's up?" He asked, his head tilted to the side in curiosity.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 11:54 am

Ixtab opened her eyes again, saying,"Nothing's wrong. This is what I normally do in the mornings. Don't be surprised if some wolves have some... odd quirks during various occasions. I grew up with very little sunlight. After leaving my home, I didn't want to lose my abilities to track or find my way in darkness. Learning these things aren't at all a good way to grow up, but I might as well try to retain their full potential."

Smirking, she announced, "We're going to track a boar- track, not hunt. This is a grown adult and they tend to be vicious when under threat. Its prints are easier to identify compared to others. You'll be able to catch its scent when we're close." Wandering over to a mark on the ground near the edge of the oasis, she said, "This is the print. It looks a bit egg shaped that's split down the middle. Don't mistake it for a deer's. Normally, you'll see deer prints with many others, as they normally travel in groups. Deer prints, though, are much slimmer at the back. Boar prints are fat," she pointed towards the rounded part, which was fat. "The front," she now pointed at the pointed side of the print, "is faced in the direction the animal is facing, in this case, the boar."

Bringing her paw closer to her, she continued, "The print won't always look like this. You'll get the best prints when the ground is wet, as long as the animal didn't slip. With experience, you'll still be able to identify who made them. Also, younger animals might not leave as good a print, because of their light weight. Something else that comes with experience is determining how fresh the print is. Scents fade in time, but grow stronger as you approach who left the print. Another thing to note is the rough age of the creature based on the size of the print. The distance between prints will tell you if they're walking, running, or something in between. A running baby boar can look like a walking adult if you only look at the distance between prints." She paused in her explanation, looking at Tyke to give him a chance to ask any questions he might have, or a sign to continue.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:26 pm

(Ooc: Sooooo sorry! I wanted to post, but every time I wasn't studying or at work, my internet shut down)

"That's a lot to remember." Tyke looked wide-eyed at the print on the ground. He quickly ran the information he just learned over again in his head before looking out into the distance, laying his orbs on the additional prints ahead. He walked forward to examine what he assumed was the next print, noting the size and shape of its heal. Tracking didn't seem too hard, but Tyke predicted it was more than simply following footsteps.

"So once we've found it, what do we do with it?" He asked Ixtab. He licked his nares and his tongue felt dry from sleep, despite his drink. Breakfast would be nice, but a bore was big, and Tyke looked down at his paws, still wearing puppy fur, then he turned his face up to Ixtab. He was small; the pig was huge. Then again, he had grown in size as he grew with age, and there was no much to stop him seizing any chance he could for the adrenaline rush he had received from hunting the previous day.

His imagination carried him to a place where he was grown, first a gangly teenager, then a mighty adult. He thought of himself rushing over solid ground after animals as great as he, his paws padding with each step. He'd like to be a hunter. And if anyone got in his way of a feast he had personally earned, they were as good as looking for trouble. He wanted to ask Ixtab what other jobs wolves had in a pack, but now was not the time. Now was the time to track a bore, and meet it on the other side.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

((no problem))

She replied, "All this will eventually become instinct the more you track, and the more prints you see. One day, you won't have to think about it- you'll just know. We won't kill boar... this time. It's best not to waste your energy, especially in a place like this, if there's no point."

Walking behind Tyke, she said, "Boar anger very easily. If a wolf is intimidating enough, though, they can be scared off. I'm thinking of scaring it just so you can compare these walking prints with running prints. Then, whenever you see prints of around this size, you'll know roughly how large and how old the boar is, and also how quickly it's moving. Wherever that boar is, we'll be able to find something else to hunt nearby. But first, let's see how you fare finding the boar. As we get close to it and further from the oasis, other tracks might intercept with it. If you can still pick up the scent of this boar, you can use it to help identify the one you're finding if there is a large amount of tracks confusing you."
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Tyke nodded and looked down at the fresh prints that were laid out before him, as though the boar knew of his elementary lesson. He walk forward, aware of Ixtab's eyes resting on him as he moved. He lowered his head further to collect a scent from the prints. The animal was far, its scent faint. Tyke wouldn't be able to intimidate, let alone scare the beast, but he was sure Ixtab could quite easily set it into a run for him.

As he walked, the scent grew steadily more prominent. His thoughts flashed back to the memory of his father dragging bore meat into the den. The smell of solid meat and the taste of his mother's milk. This memory brought warmth and comfort to the pup, increasing his motivation to find the animal and learn how to be like his father.

Paw prints came and left, never crossing the path of those he was tracking, until he recognized a hare's steps running perpendicular to the bore's. The traffic was busy with animals who had previously run this way. The snow had fully melted now, leaving the damp ground to be soft and muddy, easy for prints to be seen. Tyke wondered how difficult tracking would be in the dry seasons and considered himself fortunate to be able to have his lessons in such a forgiving climate. The soil was fresh and plants began to peak their heads through the floor.

The tracks went off course and Tyke followed. The bore was no longer walking in a straight line. Perhaps it was looking for something. Trying to find food, shelter, or an abandoned oasis. The scent was strong, and Tyke knew they were close. He looked back to check that Ixtab was still following him. He lowered his head, his ears pricked, listening for any sounds indicating their target prey was here. He made his steps lighter, not wanting to create too much sound and scare the beast away. This was Ixtab's moment of further domination. Tyke stayed silent, his steps gradually becoming slower. They path he was tracking mixed with the steps of others. A hare, and a print that looked like own. But it wasn't his own. This wasn't a wolf, they were too light to be a wolf, yet they were large like an adult. A coyote perhaps? He was unsure of which direction the bore had moved, so many tracks had mingled with them. Tyke kept his eyes on the array before him, his voice a whisper. "Where is it?" he asked Ixtab, hoping that his voice had not carried to the prey, just in case whispering was the right thing to do. It seemed to be, and he's rather air on the side of caution than waste this whole tracking experience.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:50 am

She followed Tyke, giving him enough space to work. Soon they were close, and there were many prints mingling with the boar's. Of course, she wouldn't directly tell him. The boar would most likely be finding a place to sleep at this time, as they generally like to explore during the time the moon was out. Whispering just as quietly, she said, "If you can't identify the boar's prints, picture the tracks in your head. Then look for tracks you can identify, preferably the ones on top. Then... try to erase them in your mind and see what prints are below those. Keep working your way down until you find your target's. Once you think you've found them, follow the tracks, smelling for the scent as you go to ensure you have the correct trail. This aspect could take some practice to be correct on the first attempt, but could be practiced any time you see a mess of prints like this."

There was a chance he wouldn't guess right on his first try, but he had done very well on his first hunt for rabbit. She wouldn't be surprised if he was a prodigy if Tyke could find the boar, or be very close, on his first attempt. She kept her eyes on the prints, her eyes not betraying which one belonged to the boar. Looking at the tracks, she knew it was around here the boar started to run. There was no need for her to scare it for Tyke to see the prints of a running boar. It was probably better this way, too. It would make it a bit more difficult to track since he might not be aware of this. The coyote must have picked up the scent of the boar and chased it. It was clear to her the coyote was inexperienced and failed to kill it, as the scent of the boar was strong enough to suggest life, although it could be injured, and would leave a trail, possibly a few drops of blood every few steps.

If this was the case, when Tyke finds the boar, Ixtab might as well kill it. Something else will, anyways, when the scent of blood is picked up. Plus, although not starving, food would do her good. The birds could eat what was left after she and Tyke were finished.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Wolf

Midnight Wolf

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Tyke looked down at the prints again, trying to determine whom each step belonged to. There were a few sets from animals he had never encountered before. He tried to ignore these and push them from his mind. He saw the coyote tracks, but he wasn't to concentrate on those either. "This is hard." He complained, his eyes straining to see what else was there. He knew it was immature to say so, but maybe adults felt the strain too.

Come on, think! He could locate other tracks, and he saw the boars prints walking towards this mess, so he doubled back on his traces to start again. He kept his eyes on the rounder prints, and this time, he could view them beneath the tangled web of where others had trod. But he still could not bring them out of this tide to continue to follow the beast's way.

Come on, you know where they are, think harder! He screwed his eyes up in concentration, trying to pick out the correct set of prints. He could see the boar's as clear and day now, as though his greyscale vision had suddenly highlighted his goal, but he couldn't see where they came out, so by default, he didn't know where it was going. Tyke stepped around the tangle of prints to see if he could find a new set of the boar's outside of the web, but he knew this idea wasn't going to work. He would need to concentrate harder. "There." He said to Ixtab, pointing at the correct prints in the tangle. "But I don't know where they come out." He needed her help. He wasn't a skilled hunter, nor tracker just yet. In order to learn, he had to ask questions.
Back to top Go down
akkanatrum
Junior Admin
akkanatrum

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 1:07 pm

She heard the complaint, but didn't respond yet, seeing that he was trying to focus. Ixtab knew this was difficult, but Tyke wouldn't learn well unless everything was a challenge. At least he wouldn't have to learn in the conditions she had. That was the only thought that could reassure her until he realizes just how far he's come in a short amount of time. He was determined, that much was obvious.

She replied when he verbally told her where he was, beginning with his first statement, "I know this is hard, but I think you'll find the results rewarding when you're done." She also hoped that this type of training would help him expand his intellect at thinking through puzzles and new situations. Find new ways of thinking.

"It's already impressive that you can see where the tracks are, so don't beat yourself up. Think about it. Could this boar have come into contact with any of the other animals that also passed through here? If the times were close together, the scents should be around the same strength. From there, think about how the boar would respond to the other animal, and smell for other scents that might tell you what might have happened. Some parts of this, too, can be difficult, and will take practice. You'll still learn when you get stuck."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That little Tyke   That little Tyke - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That little Tyke
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fire & Ice Wolf Packs :: Archives :: Lone/WasteLand Archive-
Jump to: